This month Azerbaijan’s capital Baku will become a paradise for sport fans, since the country has scheduled several major international sporting events.
Russian famous tourist service Travel.ru included Baku in Top 3 most popular cities to visit sporting events in May for Russian tourists.
The “City of Winds” Baku going to host Tour d`Azerbaijan, was placed second following Moscow, which will host Ice Hockey World Championship and leaving behind Barcelona to host Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe.
The UCI 2.1 five-day Tour d’Azerbaidjan stage race held from May 4 to 8 will involve 21 teams from 19 countries. Tour d’Azerbaidjan 2016 will be the fifth edition of the event, which started in 2012 as the Heydar Aliyev Anniversary Tour (U23) and in 2012 – the tour became an annual event, later being transformed into Tour d’Azerbaidjan.
The international tour will again take the peloton on a trip across Azerbaijan – from the Caspian shores to the Caucasus Mountains. The race will be held across Baku, Sumgayit, Absheron, Ismayilli, Gabala, Mingachevir and Sheki.
Recently, Baku once again proved that the city is one of the leading sports capitals, by holding Baku Marathon-2016, which brought together 7,000 runners to overcome a 21km distance.
To date, such marathons have been held in London, Paris, Boston, New York, Chicago, Berlin, Barcelona, Istanbul and other cities and by hosting the event Baku stood on a par with these cities.
Up to now, Azerbaijan has successfully hosted over 300 international sports events, including European and world championships, which increased the international Olympic family`s confidence in the country.
This summer Baku will host one of the world’s richest forms of motorsport to be held on the streets of the country’s booming capital Baku for the first time. Scheduled for June 17-19 the Baku City Circuit will be the second longest F1 track on the calendar, with a length slightly over six kilometers as an anti-clockwise layout.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan met with the Assistant to the President of the United States of America for National Security Affairs
- The Azerbaijani side expresses its gratitude to the United States as co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group for organizing a meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- Hikmet Hajiyev speaks at Atlantic Council in Washington, DC
- Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL) intends to postpone the timing of delivery of Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft
- Azerbaijani movie wins Vitruvian Award in Los Angeles