Host nation Azerbaijan won its first gold medal of the Baku 2015 European Games when Firdovsi Farzaliyev defeated Italy’s Luca Maresca in the men’s Kumite -60kg category of the Karate competition.
Emil Pavlov of Macedonia defeated Marco Antic of Serbia in the bronze medal match.
Ilaha Gasimova had won Azerbaijan’s first medal shortly before, taking bronze in the women’s Kumite -55kg.
The 22-year-old defeated Spain’s Cristina Ferrer Garcia, with France’s Emily Thouy winning the gold medal by beating Croatia’s Jelena Kovacevic in the final.
Turkey’s Serap Ozcelik won the fiercely contested women’s Kumite -50kg title, defeating Austria’s Bettina Plank. Alexandra Recchia of France took the bronze.
- City of San Jose in California proclaims October 18 as ‘Azerbaijan Independence Day’
- Azerbaijan’s multiculturalism discussed at International Law and Religion Symposium in the U.S
- Azerbaijan’s Consul General meets U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom
- A personal exhibition by Faig Ahmed to open in Washington
- В Азербайджане изменены правила выдачи визы иностранцам