Ramil Guliyev became the world champion on August 10 and gave Turkey its first gold medal in the men’s 200 meters in his surprising victory at the world championships in London.
Guliyev, who is a member of Turkey’s Fenerbahçe sports club, finished the race in 20.09 seconds, ahead of South African Olympic champion Wayde van Niekerk.
Speaking to TRT Sports, Guliyev thanked all those, who supported him and said it was “an amazing race” for him.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev has congratulated the world athletics champion, Ramil Guliyev, Azertac reported.
The congratulatory message reads:
“Dear Ramil, first of all, I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to you as you became a world athletics champion.
I would like to note that for the first time in history an Azerbaijani sportsman became a world athletics champion. What is especially pleasant is that to celebrate your victory you raised the Azerbaijani and Turkish flags. This shows that you are attached to your people, that you are a patriot.
Today you represent Turkey, but you took your first steps in sports in Azerbaijan.
I also congratulate Turkey on the occasion of this victory. Your victory is, at the same time, yet another indicative of Azerbaijani-Turkish friendship and brotherhood. We are proud of you in Azerbaijan.
I wish you further success in sports.”
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Premier Binali Yildirim and Fenerbahce Sports Club Chairman Aziz Yildirim also congratulated Guliyev.
- Arizona State Capitol event highlights Azerbaijan’s multiculturalism and interfaith tolerance
- The Senate of the U.S. State of Arizona adopts a proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- Внук выдающихся композиторов Закира Багирова и Гара Гараева – саксофонист Зульфугар Багиров выступил на Нью-Йоркской сцене
- Американский наблюдатель: Опыт независимого Азербайджана по проведению выборов – пример для многих стран
- Азербайджан стал вторым на Кубке мира по вольной борьбе