“Ali and Nino” premiered in Washington
The premiere was co-organized by the Azerbaijani and Georgian embassies in the United States, Azertac reported.
The premiere of the film, produced by Vice-President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva, was attended by nearly 300 people, including the US Administration and Congress officials, high-ranking diplomats and ambassadors accredited in Washington, representatives of think tanks and public figures.
Azerbaijan’s Ambassador to U.S. Elin Suleymanov spoke about the historical significance of the film to be displayed. He thanked the film’s creative team and hailed the great works done by film’s executive producer Leyla Aliyeva.
Ambassador of Georgia to U.S. David Bakradze spoke of the history of friendly and fraternal relations between Georgia and Azerbaijan.
A dinner-party was hosted in the event, Ambassadors Elin Suleymanov and David Bakradze delivered keynote speeches.
The film was shot in various parts of Baku, as well as in the streets of the historical Old City, Gobustan, Khinalig, Ganja and Gadabay regions.
Starring in the film are Adam Bakri as Ali and María Valverde as Nino. Other actors are Halit Ergenc, Mendy Petinkin, Connie Nielson, Riccardo Skamarchio, Homayon Ershadi, Fakhraddin Manafov, Assaad Bab, Numan Acar and others.
The film portrays the torrid romance between a Muslim Azerbaijani young man and a Christian Georgian girl in Baku during the period 1918–20. It depicts pre-Soviet Azerbaijan, touching upon the political processes occurring in Azerbaijan before and after the establishment of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (1918). This breathtaking story traverses political, geographic, and religious divides and shows challenges the two young people face on the edge of eras, of West and East, and of Islam and Christianity.
- Three Members of the U.S. House of Representatives announced ‘non grata’, banned from visiting Azerbaijan
- Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov made the remarks at the Extraordinary Session of Council of Ministers of the Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) member-states in New York
- Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted by US President Donald Trump and his wife
- President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev addressed opening of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly
- Lincoln Center has made multiple mistakes on its website when advertising the Leyli and Majnun event that they are hosting in October