President Ilham Aliyev has signed an order on the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
The order says that May 28, 2018 will mark the centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, the first parliamentary republic in the East.
The President instructed the Cabinet of Ministers to draw up a plan of action on the celebration of the centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
On May 28, 1918, Azerbaijan declared its independence establishing the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, which became the first secular parliamentary democracy in the Muslim World and recognized by other democratic nations, including the United States of America.
During the short period of independence Azerbaijan granted all people the rights to vote regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, and religion, becoming the first Muslim nation to give women equal political rights with men, an accomplishment preceding the United States. Azerbaijan’s independence was interrupted in 1920, when it was invaded by Bolshevists, and forcefully incorporated into the USSR in 1922. Azerbaijan restored its independence only in 1991.
- Mugham Festival gathers talented musicians from the USA, France, Hungary, Italy, Turkey, Germany and other countries
- Global Soundscapes Festival – Из Канады в Азербайджан
- Memory of victims of January 20 tragedy honored in Azerbaijan’s Shusha city
- Thirty-one years have passed since the bloody 20 January
- Karabakh to become ecotourism center of regional importance – Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Azerbaijan