Senate of Colombia adopts resolution on Khojaly genocide.
The Senate of Colombia adopted a resolution related to the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide, the Azerbaijani Embassy in Colombia told Trend.
In the document, the Senate of Colombia honored the memory of the victims of the genocide and expressed solidarity with the Azerbaijani people, the embassy said.
The resolution noted the importance of preventing the similar acts which led to the death of hundreds of civilians in the history of mankind.
The Colombian senators also expressed support for the peaceful settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
The document signed by the vice president of the Senate of Colombia, the president of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, was handed over to Azerbaijani Charge d’Affaires in Colombia Ramil Farzaliyev.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of the former Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.
- В Центре мугама в Международный день джаза выступит американская группа Kennedy Administration
- Arizona State Capitol event highlights Azerbaijan’s multiculturalism and interfaith tolerance
- The Senate of the U.S. State of Arizona adopts a proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- Внук выдающихся композиторов Закира Багирова и Гара Гараева – саксофонист Зульфугар Багиров выступил на Нью-Йоркской сцене
- Американский наблюдатель: Опыт независимого Азербайджана по проведению выборов – пример для многих стран