Senate of Colombia adopts resolution on Khojaly genocide

Senate of Colombia adopts resolution on Khojaly genocide.

The Senate of Colombia adopted a resolution related to the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide, the Azerbaijani Embassy in Colombia told Trend.

In the document, the Senate of Colombia honored the memory of the victims of the genocide and expressed solidarity with the Azerbaijani people, the embassy said.

The resolution noted the importance of preventing the similar acts which led to the death of hundreds of civilians in the history of mankind.

The Colombian senators also expressed support for the peaceful settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

The document signed by the vice president of the Senate of Colombia, the president of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, was handed over to Azerbaijani Charge d’Affaires in Colombia Ramil Farzaliyev.

On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of the former Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.

As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.

The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.

AzerNews

U.S. envoy: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has gone on far too long

The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has gone on far too long and needs to be resolved, U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Robert Cekuta said on March 9, APA reports.

The conflict has no military solution and needs to be resolved through negotiations, the diplomat said, adding that the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs will visit Azerbaijan in the coming days.

“We will do our utmost for the settlement of the conflict”, Cekuta added.

OSCE Minsk Group Russian co-chair Igor Popov said earlier that he, along with other co-chairs – Richard Hoagland of the U.S. and Stephane Visconti of France – will visit Azerbaijan this week.

The co-chairs will meet with Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov and mull the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement.

Azerbaijan and Armenia fought a lengthy war that ended with the signing of a fragile ceasefire in 1994. Since the war, Armenian armed forces have occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions. More than 20,000 Azerbaijanis were killed and over 1 million were displaced as a result of the large-scale hostilities.

While the OSCE Minsk Group acted as the only mediator in resolution of the conflict, the occupation of the territory of the sovereign State with its internationally recognized boundaries has been left out of due attention of the international community for years.

Armenia ignores four UN Security Council resolutions on immediate withdrawal from the occupied territory of Azerbaijan, thus keeping tension high in the region.

Today.az

 

American co-chair of OSCE MG to visit Baku this week

Richard Hoagland, the U.S. co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, will visit Azerbaijan by the end of this week, the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan told Trend.

He is expected to hold meetings with Azerbaijani officials.

Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov has earlier said the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs will visit the South Caucasus region in March to mull the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement.

The OSCE Minsk Group, the activities of which have become known as the Minsk Process, works to find a peaceful solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict for over two decades, but in vain.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.

The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.

AzerNews

The Governor of the U.S. State of Nevada, Brian Sandoval, signed a document remembering the Khojaly Tragedy of Azerbaijan

The Governor of the U.S. State of Nevada, Brian Sandoval, signed a document remembering the Khojaly Tragedy of Azerbaijan. The document was sent to Azerbaijan’s Consulate General in Los Angeles, which also covers the State of Nevada.
The Khojaly Tragedy refers to the massacre committed by Armenia’s army against Azerbaijani civilians on Feb. 25-26, 1992 fleeing the town of Khojaly in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region. The mass killing, called by the Human Rights Watch the “largest massacre in the conflict” between Armenia and Azerbaijan, resulted in the murder of over 600 Azerbaijani civilians, including around 250 children, women and the elderly.
Stating that this document is presented in honor of the Khojaly Remembrance Day and in memory of the victims of the Khojaly tragedy, the Governor says: “The State of Nevada joins you on this day of remembrance, and recognizes the need for understanding, communication and tolerance among people around the world.”
This is the first official document signed by a Nevada Governor on the Khojaly Tragedy.

AzerTac

Arizona House of Representatives passes a proclamation condemning the Khojaly Genocide

Arizona House of Representatives passes a proclamation condemning the Khojaly Genocide.

Arizona State House of Representatives passed a proclamation on February 23, 2017 recognizing and condemning the Khojaly Genocide, which was committed by Armenia’s army against Azerbaijani civilians in 1992 fleeing the town of Khojaly in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region.

Read by the House Appropriation Committee Chairman Rep. Don Shooter on the House Floor, the proclamation was presented to Azerbaijan’s Consul General in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev. As a sign of respect for the innocent victims of the Khojaly Genocide, all legislators listened to the proclamation standing.

The proclamation says that on February 25 and 26, 1992, Armenian armed forces occupied the town of Khojaly in Azerbaijan and “killed more than six hundred civilians, wounded more than one thousand civilians; and captured more than one thousand two hundred civilians”.

The document further states: “Documenting this mass killing the Human Rights Watch called it the “largest massacre in the conflict”; major United States and international news organizations reported about the killings with horror; and numerous governments around the world as well as State Legislatures and Governors of 20 U.S. States passed resolutions/proclamations condemning the attack”.

The proclamation specifically mentions that the “perpetrators of this genocide are still at large and have not been brought to justice yet”.

“Tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan are still running high because Armenian army continues to occupy twenty percent of Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territory, in the Nagorno-Karabakh region and the surrounding seven districts”, the document continues.

It also mentions that “resolutions condemning the occupation of Azerbaijan’s territory by Armenian forces have been passed by the United Nations Security Council and the General Assembly”.

The proclamation concludes by stating that the Arizona State House of Representatives honors the victims of the Khojaly tragedy, and recognizes February 26, 2017, as the 25th Anniversary of the Khojaly tragedy.

It should be noted that this is the second official document on Khojaly adopted by the Arizona State Legislature. The first document was passed by the upper chamber of the Legislature – the Arizona State Senate – on February 26, 2015.

Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles

 

Statement by Hikmat Hajiyev,Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Statement by Hikmat Hajiyev,Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As stated by the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Azerbaijan on February 25 at midnight, the armed forces of Armenia made an attempt to penetrate into the positions of the armed forces of Azerbaijan with the aim of conducting large-scale provocation on the frontline and trying to seize advantageous positions in Khojavand-Fizuli direction of the front.

The escalation of the situation in the front and perpetration of military provocations are continuation of Armenia’s political provocations as holding of illegal “referendum” in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan on February 20, 2017. The political and military provocations of Armenia are aimed at deliberate escalation of the situation and undermining the efforts for solution of conflict via the substantive talks, diverting the attention of the international community in the eve of Khojaly genocide from the responsibilities borne by Armenia for Khojaly and strengthening already lost social support base and position of Armenia’s ruling regime in forthcoming parliamentary elections in Armenia.

Azerbaijani side has repeatedly emphasized that the illegal presence of armed forces of Armenia in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan remains the prime reason for the escalation of the situation. The events occurred in April last year proved it over again. The international community and particularly the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs at the Heads of State level on many occasions stated that the status quo is unacceptable and unsustainable and it must be changed.

With a view of preventing the escalation of situation and changing the status of quo of occupation and ensuring sustainable peace in the region, full and unconditional withdrawal of the armed forces of Armenia from all occupied territories of Azerbaijan has to be provided based on the relevant resolutions of the United Nations Security Council.

Instigator of the escalation of situation in the front is Armenia and thereby, all responsibility falls on political-military leadership of Armenia.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan

 

Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan

Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 120 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told Trend Feb. 25.

The Azerbaijani army positions located in the Farahli village and on nameless heights of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Ijevan district and in the Shavarshavan village and on nameless heights of the Noyemberyan district of Armenia.

Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in the Munjuglu and Aghbulag villages of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in the Aygedzor and Chinari villages of Armenia’s Berd district.

The Azerbaijani army positions located on nameless heights of Azerbaijan’s Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.

Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian army positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of the Tartar district, Shikhlar, Garagashli, Namirli, Marzili villages of the Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of the Khojavand district, Garakhanbayli and Gorgan villages of the Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of the Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts. The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.

AzerNews

U.S. Azeris Network organizes protest rally outside Armenian Embassy in Washington

U.S. Azeris Network (USAN) has organized a protest rally outside the Embassy of Armenia in Washington to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide, Azertac reported.

The rally brought together Azerbaijani and Turkish communities in Washington.

The protesters held posters highlighting the truth about the Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan and the Khojaly genocide. They chanted slogans such as “Condemn Armenian terror!”, “Khojaly massacre must not be repeated!”, “Armenia is to blame for ethnic cleansing!”, “Shame on Armenia!”, “Armenia out of Karabakh!”, “Murders of children!”, “Armenia is a vassal country!”.

The protesters urged the Armenian government to recognize the Khojaly genocide, and demanded that the Armenian armed forces immediately withdraw from Azerbaijan, free hostages and ensure the return of Azerbaijani refuges to their homelands.

They also urged Armenia to fulfill the four resolutions of the UN Security Council.

AzerNews

Armenian Armed Forces carried out a large-scale provocation along the entire frontline

On February 25 at midnight, the Armenian Armed Forces’ military units have made an attempt to penetrate into the positions of Azerbaijani Armed Forces in different directions with the aim to carry out a large-scale provocation on the frontline.
As a result of constant surveillance of the enemy, setting up ambushes and combat security, the enemy action has been identified in advance. The military units of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces have taken firm measures to prevent the enemy penetration to the depth of our defense.
Fierce fighting took place between the enemy, trying to seize advantageous positions in Khojavand-Fizuli direction of the front and our military units.
The enemy forces were forced to retreat as a result of brave action of the units of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces which were standing in ambush set up in this direction.
Azerbaijani side suffered losses as a result of fighting.
Failing to move forward in various areas, the enemy using heavy artillery currently subjected to fire the positions of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces.
In accordance with the operational situation, appropriate countermeasures are taken against the firing positions and staging areas of the enemy.

Ministry of Defence of Azerbaijan

Peter Tase: Armenia must withdraw its troops from the sovereign territory of Azerbaijan

Expert hopes Washington to intensify efforts for sustainable solution of Karabakh conflict.

Armenia must withdraw its troops from the sovereign territory of Azerbaijan, including Nagorno-Karabakh and its seven surrounding regions, and should respect the international laws and UN Security Council resolutions, said Peter Tase, a political analyst and international relations expert at the Marquette University.

Tase named this condition as one of three items that must be followed so that concrete results are seen in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

“Secondly, Yerevan must refrain from embracing the current status-quo and engage in a results oriented set of negotiations with the leadership of Azerbaijan,” Tase said in an interview with Eurasia Diary.

Azerbaijan and Armenia for over two decades have been locked in conflict, which emerged over Armenian territorial claims. Since the 1990s war, Armenian armed forces have occupied over 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent regions. The UN Security Council has adopted four resolutions on Armenian withdrawal, but they have not been enforced to this day.

Tase further added that the Armenian government must focus on combating corruption and organized crime, and not use the conflict as a shield and as a tool that helps overshadow the domestic problems that Armenian population faces.

In third, Tase considers that the OSCE, European Union and other distinguished international players and organizations must play an active role towards bringing peace and stability in the Caucasus region, and “they must defend the principles of international law and be impartial during the negotiations process”.

Speaking of the foreign policy of U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration, Tase said that no well deserved attention was provided for Azerbaijan and other Caspian region countries during the last two weeks.

“The historic partnership between Azerbaijan and the United States must be strengthened and further developed in many fields including, economy, trade, commerce, education and cultural initiative,” Tase noted.

The expert also voiced hope that Washington will provide a more robust intervention towards the sustainable solution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

“I am hopeful that President Trump will appoint a team of experts at the State Department that will address and bring concrete results in the decades’ long conflict that is succumbing the nation of Azerbaijan and is strengthening peace and stability in the Caucasus region,” said Tase.

While the OSCE Minsk Group acted as the only mediator in resolution of the conflict, the occupation of the territory of the sovereign State with its internationally recognized boundaries has been left out of due attention of the international community for years.

Armenia ignores four UN Security Council resolutions on immediate withdrawal from the occupied territory of Azerbaijan, thus keeping tension high in the region.

AzerNews