The hostilities on the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops in April 2016 resulted in many casualties and demonstrated that there can be no military solution to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
James Warlick, US co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group made the remark while talking to Trend on December 14.
Warlick said that since then, the ceasefire has generally been respected by the sides and there are proposals on the table that can lead to a settlement.
“In 2016, we have seen a renewed effort to make progress in negotiations, particularly at the summits in Vienna and St. Petersburg, and we hope the sides will engage constructively to find a way forward,” Warlick said.
Azerbaijan and Armenia for over two decades have been locked in conflict, which emerged over Armenian territorial claims. Since the 1990s war, Armenian armed forces have occupied over 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent regions. The UN Security Council has adopted four resolutions on Armenian withdrawal, but they have not been enforced to this day.
The OSCE Minsk Group, the activities of which have become known as the Minsk Process, works to find a peaceful solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict for over two decades, but in vain.
“I wish I could see into the crystal ball,” the diplomat said regarding further developments on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement during the presidency of Donald Trump.
“I have no doubt, however, that the U.S. government will remain committed to a peaceful settlement through the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair countries,” he said.
Warlick further mentioned that given his decision to step down on December 31, an interim Co-Chair will be announced in the near future.
Ambassador James Warlick assumed the office in September 2013. In December 2012, Robert Bradtke completed his term as the U.S. Minsk Group co-chair. Then, Ian Kelly was named as the U.S. co-chair on an interim basis.
- Азербайджан на XIV Международной конференции по восточным коврам в Вашингтоне
- В Нью-Йорке прошел концерт, посвященный 100-летию Азербайджанской Демократической Республики
- US House of Reps member: Azerbaijan is important actor for advancement of global security
- Член комитета по энергетике и торговле Палаты представителей Конгресса США Юджин Грин: Азербайджан – значимая страна для прогресса глобальной безопасности
- Госдеп США: TANAP является прочным дополнительным элементом энергетической безопасности Турции и Европы