On October 1st, 2016, the Alberta Azerbaijani Cultural Society (ALACS) held the first Azerbaijani Culture Day event in Calgary as part of the Alberta Culture Days program.
The event was funded and supported by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Alberta and the Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan in Canada.
The event’s program featured traditional Azerbaijani dances, including ‘Nakhchivani’, ‘Sari Gelin’, and ‘Lezginka’ dances, performed by members of Calgary Stars dance group, regional fusion music by the band HYMN, a behind-the-scenes presentation on the Azerbaijani movie “Inner City” (“Icher Sheher”) by Tahmina Rafaella, and more. There were exhibitions of Azerbaijani ‘kelagai’, art work by Tahir Ali, sword craftsmanship by Emin Mammadov and a display of traditional Azerbaijani artifacts.
The event also catered to children by offering nail art painting and Robotics for kids by JunioTech Kids Academy. Event participants had an opportunity to sample traditional Azerbaijani pastries, ‘shekerbura’ and ‘paxlava’, and to learn about Azerbaijan’s cultures and values.
The Minister of Culture and Tourism of Alberta Mr. Ricardo Miranda attended the event. He expressed his gratitude to the members of ALACS and to volunteers for organizing the event.
Alberta Azerbaijani Cultural Society (ALACS)
- Azerbaijan’s multiculturalism discussed at International Law and Religion Symposium in the U.S
- Azerbaijan’s Consul General meets U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom
- A personal exhibition by Faig Ahmed to open in Washington
- В Азербайджане изменены правила выдачи визы иностранцам
- В Калифорнии учреждена Ассоциация дружбы Монтерей-Лянкяран