There is no need in inventing new formulas or equations to solve the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, said Hikmet Hajiyev, the spokesman to Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry.
Political and legal framework for the settlement of the conflict are well known – those are important resolutions of the UN Security Council, the norms and principles of the international law and the Helsinki Final act, Hajiyev told Trend on September 30 when commenting on the statement by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.
John Kerry earlier stated that the settlement of the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh today is still impossible.
“Azerbaijan, as a country subjected to occupation and aggression by Armenia, is the interested party in the soonest settlement of the conflict. The Azerbaijani side has repeatedly stated that remains committed to the spirit of the Vienna and St. Petersburg meetings, it is interested in resolving the conflict through substantive negotiations,” Hajiyev noted, adding that substantive negotiations are continuing to this day, despite the fact that information about them is not being provided to media.
“These substantive negotiations, as it was stated at the level of the OSCE Minsk group co-chairs, should lead to a change in the status quo, which is unacceptable and inconsistent, and to liberation of Azerbaijani territories from the occupation,” Hajiyev noted.
The spokesman further added that Armenia through various provocations tries to harm the process of the conflict resolution.
Armenia broke out a lengthy war against Azerbaijan laying territorial claims on its South Caucasus neighbor. Since a war in the early 1990s, Armenian armed forces have occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions. More than 20,000 Azerbaijanis were killed and over 1 million were displaced as a result of the large-scale hostilities.
Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding districts.
- Мэр американского города Кливленд объявил 28 мая Днем Азербайджана
- В Конгрессе США сделано очередное заявление в связи со 100-летним юбилеем Азербайджанской Демократической Республики
- В Сан-Диего 28 мая объявлено “Днем 100-летия Азербайджанской Демократической Республики”
- Cleveland mayor designates May 28 as Centennial Celebration of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- President of the United States of America Donald Trump congratulated President of Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani people with 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic