Mayor of Washington D.C. Muriel Bowser has proclaimed May 28, 2015 as Azerbaijan National Day.
The proclamation signed by the Mayor describes Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, which was established on May 28, 1918, as “the world`s first secular Muslim parliamentary Democratic Republic”.
“The Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan granted universal suffrage in the same year they were established, resulting in the first majority Muslim country to give women the right to vote.”
The proclamation says the Republic of Azerbaijan is “an important strategic partner of the United States whose troops continues to serve in Afghanistan”.
“Every year for the last 97 years, an estimated 40 million Azerbaijanis from around the globe observe May 28th as the National Day of their country,” the proclamation says.
- Baku Olympic Stadium named one of the world’s bests
- U.S. President Donald Trump: Azerbaijan is valued partner of U.S.
- Azerbaijan`s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov meets with UN Secretary-General in New York
- Знаменитый американский ведущий, Джон Батчелор: Азербайджанцы проявляют терпимость и стремятся к процветанию”
- Элин Сулейманов: Азербайджан помогает США и их друзьям строить мосты с исламским миром