Mayor of Washington D.C. Muriel Bowser has proclaimed May 28, 2015 as Azerbaijan National Day.
The proclamation signed by the Mayor describes Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, which was established on May 28, 1918, as “the world`s first secular Muslim parliamentary Democratic Republic”.
“The Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan granted universal suffrage in the same year they were established, resulting in the first majority Muslim country to give women the right to vote.”
The proclamation says the Republic of Azerbaijan is “an important strategic partner of the United States whose troops continues to serve in Afghanistan”.
“Every year for the last 97 years, an estimated 40 million Azerbaijanis from around the globe observe May 28th as the National Day of their country,” the proclamation says.
- U.S. Cities of Las Vegas, Honolulu, San Diego and Monterey proclaim May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- PRESS STATEMENT- MICHAEL R. POMPEO, SECRETARY OF STATE -Azerbaijan Republic Day
- New Radio Programs – World Azerbaijanis Diaspora FM will Launch Projects on the eve of May 28 Republic Day
- Во Флориде объявили 28 мая “Днем Руспублики Азербайджана”
- City of Torrance in California proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’