The list also includes countries and cities representing different cultures as Milan, Cuba, Philadelphia, Singapore, and Bolivia.
“Baku’s mix of ancient culture and Dubai-style extravagance is putting it on the tourist map at last,” the article said about the city of winds.
“A second oil boom — the first was in the early 20th century — in the Azerbaijani capital has brought enormous wealth to this city on the shores of the Caspian Sea, and with it, a new skyline.”
The NYT notes that the government has recently been converting oil money into rich architectural projects that encircle the UNESCO-protected walled historical center.
Baku’s modern iconic places were also mentioned. The three tongue-shaped 600-foot-tall skyscrapers of the Flame Towers and the undulating white waves of the Zaha Hadid-designed Heydar Aliyev Center were noted in the article.
Moreover, the article noted the historical event for the country, the fist European Games that will open in Baku on June 12.
Baku 2015 will be not only a significant moment in the country’s history, but also a new chapter in European sport that will unify the whole continent in celebration. The Games expected to attract more than 6,000 athletes from the National Olympic Committees of Europe.
New luxury hotels including Fairmont, Four Seasons, Hilton and Kempinski, as well as brand new the 33-floor sail-like Trump International Hotel & Baku Tower will host the guests of the Games.
Azerbaijan with its nine climatic zones, marvelous nature, captivating history, original architecture and distinctive art now dynamically turns into a tourist destination.
- The U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan opened the Kurdemir American Corner
- Azerbaijan maintains strong counterterrorism co-op with US
- Посол Азербайджана в США Элин Сулейманов рассказал о последней армянской провокации на форуме The Heritage Foundation
- Президент Ильхам Алиев: Отношения между Азербайджаном и США вступают в новую стадию
- Глава консульской службы посольства Соединенных Штатов в Азербайджане Ким Моралес: Как получить неиммиграционную визу США в Азербайджане