U.S. envoy: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has gone on far too long

The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has gone on far too long and needs to be resolved, U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Robert Cekuta said on March 9, APA reports.

The conflict has no military solution and needs to be resolved through negotiations, the diplomat said, adding that the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs will visit Azerbaijan in the coming days.

“We will do our utmost for the settlement of the conflict”, Cekuta added.

OSCE Minsk Group Russian co-chair Igor Popov said earlier that he, along with other co-chairs – Richard Hoagland of the U.S. and Stephane Visconti of France – will visit Azerbaijan this week.

The co-chairs will meet with Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov and mull the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement.

Azerbaijan and Armenia fought a lengthy war that ended with the signing of a fragile ceasefire in 1994. Since the war, Armenian armed forces have occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions. More than 20,000 Azerbaijanis were killed and over 1 million were displaced as a result of the large-scale hostilities.

While the OSCE Minsk Group acted as the only mediator in resolution of the conflict, the occupation of the territory of the sovereign State with its internationally recognized boundaries has been left out of due attention of the international community for years.

Armenia ignores four UN Security Council resolutions on immediate withdrawal from the occupied territory of Azerbaijan, thus keeping tension high in the region.

Today.az

 

US Congressman from New Jersey makes Khojaly statement

US Congressman from New Jersey Donald Payne has made a statement on the 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide, Azertac reported.

In his statement, Payne said Khojaly tragedy was a brutal murder of more than 600 civilians, mostly women, children and elderly, in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly 25 years ago. Congressman Payne called on his colleagues to join him in remembering the victims of the tragedy.

AzerNews

Nagorno-Karabakh issue raised at session of UN Security Council

Nagorno-Karabakh issue raised at session of UN Security Council.

The principled demands of the UN Security Council on withdrawal of Armenian occupation forces from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan remain unfulfilled, said Yashar Aliyev, the permanent representative of Azerbaijan to the UN.

He made the remark on January 10 while addressing a meeting of the UN Security Council dedicated to the prevention of conflicts and preserving of peace in the world.

The diplomat underlined Azerbaijan’s commitment to peace and security.

He informed the meeting participants about the Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan, which resulted in the seizure of a considerable part of Azerbaijan’s territory, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding regions.

Aliyev added that the Armenian aggression caused death of tens of thousands of people, destruction of cities, as well as violent expulsion of over 1 million Azerbaijanis from their homes, and loss of their property.

In 1993, the Security Council adopted four resolutions (822, 853, 874 and 884), condemning Armenia for the use of force against Azerbaijan and occupation of its territories, as well as for attacks on civilians and bombardments of settlements. The UNSC reaffirmed respect for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan, reconfirmed that the Nagorno-Karabakh region is an integral part of Azerbaijan, and demanded the immediate, complete and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian occupation forces from all occupied territories of Azerbaijan, said Aliyev.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations.

Armenia still refuses to fulfill the UN four resolutions on immediate withdrawal from the internationally recognized territory of Azerbaijan, and stages military and political provocations to derail the peace talks mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group.

The Azerbaijani diplomat also spoke about the heinous crimes committed by the Armenian armed forces and associated armed groups against civilians and defenders of Khojaly city, located in the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan.

“The massacre in Khojaly in 1992 February was the largest fact of mass extermination of the civilian population,” Aliyev stressed.

As a result of the Khojaly massacre 613 people, including 106 women, 63 children, 70 old men, were mercilessly killed, 487 people were injured, 1,275 civilians were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people is still unknown. As a result of this act of genocide, eight families were completely destroyed, while 25 children lost both parents.

Rashid Shirinov

AzerNews