Baku’s Icherisheher (Old City) has been named one of the most comfortable and accessible historical cities in Europe.
The Organization of World Heritage Cities in Southern Europe and the Mediterranean has distributed another book on mobility and cultural heritage.
The book features 13 historical cities in Europe with the best experience in terms of accessibility and comfortable traffic.
The publication provides information about ongoing projects and work to ensure the accessibility of this space, as well as comfortable traffic for Icherisheher visitors and residents.
The project “Mobility and Cultural Heritage” was launched in 2014. The main goal of the project is to support local authorities in preserving the cultural heritage, including ensuring the comfort and accessibility of historical monuments to people.
With its defensive fortresses, Icherisheher is a symbol of patriotism and a great source of national pride and dignity.
All the buildings within the fortress walls of the Old City were of a defense nature in terms of their tactical and strategic functions.
Large squares and wide streets gradually narrowed and shrank into a geometric design. They fascinate Baku residents and city’s guests.
Numerous unique monuments, including the Shirvanshahs Palace complex, mosques and minarets, the ruins of caravanserais and bathhouses make this place one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city.
Old City became the first location in Azerbaijan to be classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
In 2000, the Old City of Baku, including the Palace of the Shirvanshahs and Maiden Tower, became the first location in Azerbaijan to be classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- US don’t want problems with Azerbaijani gas supply to Europe due to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, says US Energy Secretary
- Состоялся телефонный разговор между министром иностранных дел Азербайджана и сопредседателем Минской группы ОБСЕ от США Эндрю Шофером
- Joint Statement Calling for a Ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh
- Azerbaijani Qarabag FC reaches UEFA Europa League group stage
- Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan