A chess tournament dedicated to the 96th birthday anniversary of Azerbaijan’s National Leader Heydar Aliyev was held on May 4, 2019 in San Diego, California.
Initiated and supported by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles as well as the San Diego-Baku Friendship Association, and held for the second time by the San Diego Chess Club, the tournament was called “Baku Open 2019”.
The San Diego Chess Club is one of the largest chess clubs in the United States.
Opening the event, Rashad Eyvazov, the Consul of the Consulate General of Azerbaijan, talked about the extraordinary life path of Heydar Aliyev and his outstanding role and tireless efforts in the preservation and strengthening of Azerbaijan’s independent and sovereign statehood. Highlighting the many difficult challenges the National Leader faced in preserving Azerbaijan’s independence and how masterfully he overcame them, Eyvazov said that the memory of Heydar Aliyev will always live in the hearts and minds of the Azerbaijani people.
Speaking afterwards, Martin Kruming, the Executive Director of the San Diego-Baku Friendship Association, informed the participants about the remarkable chess history and the current development of this sport in Azerbaijan, and wished everyone success in the tournament.
In the four-round tournament, more than 50 players from different age groups competed in six sections. In the end, the winners of each section were presented with certificates of achievement by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan.
Source: Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles
- World-famous Azerbaijani composer Firanghiz Ali-Zadeh to perform in Los Angeles
- Azerbaijani oncologists win award in California
- President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev: The Republic of Azerbaijan and the United States of America are bound together by the ties of friendship and cooperation
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan met with the Assistant to the President of the United States of America for National Security Affairs
- The Azerbaijani side expresses its gratitude to the United States as co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group for organizing a meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia