Mayor of Cleveland, Ohio, Frank G. Jackson signed an official proclamation on occasion of Centennial Celebration of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (ADR), the Embassy of Azerbaijan in the US said.
The proclamation notes that on May 28, 1918, Azerbaijan declared its independence establishing the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, becoming the first secular parliamentary democracy in the Muslim world, and was recognized by other democratic nations, including the United States of America.
The proclamation emphasizes that during their brief period of initial independence, Azerbaijan granted all people the right to vote regardless of race, gender, ethnicity and religion, becoming the first Muslim nation to grant women equal political rights with men.
At the same time, the document emphasizes that Azerbaijan was forcefully incorporated into the USSR, and restored its independence in 1991.
The proclamation notes that over the last quarter century, the Republic of Azerbaijan has consolidated its sovereignty and independence, and has become a staunch ally and strategic partner of the democratic world.
The proclamation says the City of Cleveland is made up of a diverse fabric of people and the contributions of its Azerbaijani citizens are deeply appreciated and deserve commendation.
In conclusion, it is noted that, during this year of centennial celebrations, millions of Azerbaijanis around the globe, and many in the City of Cleveland will observe May 28, 2018 as the National Day, and remember contribution of their forefathers to the spread of democracy in the regions of Caucasus, Central Asia and the Middle East.
Mayor Frank G. Jackson also designated May 28, 2018 as the Centennial Celebration of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic in the City of Cleveland.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan met with the Assistant to the President of the United States of America for National Security Affairs
- The Azerbaijani side expresses its gratitude to the United States as co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group for organizing a meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- Hikmet Hajiyev speaks at Atlantic Council in Washington, DC
- Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL) intends to postpone the timing of delivery of Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft
- Azerbaijani movie wins Vitruvian Award in Los Angeles