Mayor of Cleveland, Ohio, Frank G. Jackson signed an official proclamation on occasion of Centennial Celebration of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (ADR), the Embassy of Azerbaijan in the US said.
The proclamation notes that on May 28, 1918, Azerbaijan declared its independence establishing the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, becoming the first secular parliamentary democracy in the Muslim world, and was recognized by other democratic nations, including the United States of America.
The proclamation emphasizes that during their brief period of initial independence, Azerbaijan granted all people the right to vote regardless of race, gender, ethnicity and religion, becoming the first Muslim nation to grant women equal political rights with men.
At the same time, the document emphasizes that Azerbaijan was forcefully incorporated into the USSR, and restored its independence in 1991.
The proclamation notes that over the last quarter century, the Republic of Azerbaijan has consolidated its sovereignty and independence, and has become a staunch ally and strategic partner of the democratic world.
The proclamation says the City of Cleveland is made up of a diverse fabric of people and the contributions of its Azerbaijani citizens are deeply appreciated and deserve commendation.
In conclusion, it is noted that, during this year of centennial celebrations, millions of Azerbaijanis around the globe, and many in the City of Cleveland will observe May 28, 2018 as the National Day, and remember contribution of their forefathers to the spread of democracy in the regions of Caucasus, Central Asia and the Middle East.
Mayor Frank G. Jackson also designated May 28, 2018 as the Centennial Celebration of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic in the City of Cleveland.
- США как давний друг Азербайджана всегда готовы участвовать в установлении мира в регионе
- “Спорт – очень важная часть культуры азербайджанского народа. Азербайджан и США развили широкое партнерство в этой области”- Эрл Литценбергер
- Президентом Американской торговой палаты в Азербайджане впервые избрана женщина
- Оружейник из Канады подарил азербайджанскому музею мечи, кинжалы и щиты
- Наша задача – показать хороший результат в финале Всемирных соревнований по акробатической гимнастике в Баку – спортсменки из США