A chess tournament dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (ADR) was held on April 28, 2018 in San Diego, California.
Initiated and supported by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles as well as the San Diego-Baku Friendship Association, and held by the San Diego Chess Club, the tournament was called Baku Open Chess Tournament. It is planned to hold this tournament every year on the eve of Azerbaijan’s Republic Day
The San Diego Chess Club is one of the largest chess clubs in the United States.
In the four-round tournament, 50 players from different age categories competed in six sections. In the end, the winners of each section were awarded with certificates of achievement and gifts by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan.
The chess players were informed about Azerbaijan’s history of independence, noting that the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, established on May 28, 1918, was the first secular democracy in the Muslim world. This Republic enacted many progressive reforms during its short existence (1918-20), like granting voting rights to women in 1919 for the first time among Muslim nations. The audience was also informed about Azerbaijan’s remarkable chess history and the current development of this sport in the country. It was mentioned that today Azerbaijan is considered one of the strongest chess nations in the world.
Source: Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles
- В Лос-Анджелесе состоялась премьера фильма «Командировка в вечность», снятого при поддержке Фонда Гейдара Алиева
- Президент Ильхам Алиев принял делегацию во главе с командующим Транспортного командования США
- Los Angeles hosts the U.S. premiere screening of Azerbaijani film “Life-Long Mission”
- Monterey City of California honors the 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s National Flag
- U.S.-Caspian Innovation Summit to take place in Boston