Lincoln Center has made multiple mistakes on its website when advertising the Leyli and Majnun event that they are hosting in October.
1. The name of the Azerbaijani composer, Uzeyir Hajibeyov, who has composed this opera, is not mentioned anywhere in the event information.
2. The name of the opera is “Leyli and Majnun,” not “Layla and Majnun”
3. The advertisement should say that “it is the first Muslim opera written IN AZERBAIJAN more than a century ago.” Right now, the origin of the opera or of the composer is unmentioned
4. The ad says that “Layla and Majnun are central characters in Persian and Arabian folklore,” while the opera was based on the poems about Leyli and Majnun written by Nizami Ganjavi (12th century) and Fizuli (16th century), two Azerbaijani poets. It is therefore absolutely crucial that it the advertsiement says “Leyli and Majnun are central characters in Azerbaijani folklore” or at least “Leyli and Majnun are central characters in Persian, Arabian, and Azerbaijani folklore.”
- Jewish Republican Alliance hosts Azerbaijan’s Consul General in Los Angeles
- The US attaches great importance to the work of the OSCE Minsk Group and expresses a commitment to an ultimate resolution to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- Azerbaijan, US universities sign MoU on agricultural cooperation
- Number of U.S. tourists visiting Azerbaijan up
- США продолжат работу по урегулированию нагорно-карабахского конфликта путем переговоров