The Governor of the State of Nebraska, the U.S., Pete Ricketts has signed a proclamation on Azerbaijan National Day.
The proclamation reads: “On May 28, 1918, Azerbaijan declared its independence establishing the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, which became the first secular parliamentary democracy in the Muslim world and was recognized by other democratic states, including the United States of America. During the short period of independence Azerbaijan granted all people the right to vote regardless of race, gender, ethnicity and religion, becoming the first Muslim nation to grant women equal political rights with men, an accomplishment preceding the United States.”
“Azerbaijan’s independence was interrupted in 1920, when it invaded by Bolshevists and forcefully incorporated into the USSR in 1922 to restore its independence only in 1991.”
Over the last two decades the Republic of Azerbaijan has consolidated its sovereignty and independence and has become a staunch ally and strategic partner of the United States of America in the critically important Caspian region, the document reads.
“Every year for the last 99 years, millions of Azerbaijanis around the globe, including tens of thousands in the United States of America observe May 28th as Azerbaijan National Day and remember the contribution of their forefathers to the spread of democracy to the regions of Caucasus, Central Asia and the Middle East,” the proclamation says.
The proclamation was also signed by Nebraska Secretary of State John Gale.
- Знаменитый американский ведущий, Джон Батчелор: Азербайджанцы проявляют терпимость и стремятся к процветанию”
- Элин Сулейманов: Азербайджан помогает США и их друзьям строить мосты с исламским миром
- В США обсудили возможности расширения бизнеса с Азербайджаном
- Executive Vice Chairman of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations: Jewish community has long enjoyed peaceful co-existence in Azerbaijan
- Margot Ellis, acting assistant administrator for US Agency for International Development visits Azerbaijan