Commemoration of the 27th Anniversary of the Tragedy of “Black January” in Washington, DC
The Embassy of Azerbaijan to the United State will hold a commemorative event on Monday, January 23, 2017.
In the early morning hours and into the day of January 20, 1990 the Soviet troops invaded Azerbaijan’s capital Baku and attacked innocent civilians slaughtering 133 people and wounding around 700. The use of force by the Soviet regime was a response to Azerbaijan’s popular demand for independence. Despite the bloodshed, the Soviet leadership was unable to stop the quest for freedom of the Azerbaijani people who continued to stand for regaining their independence. This resulted in declaration of Azerbaijan’s independence on October 18, 1991.
Every January, the people of Azerbaijan pay tribute to their fellow citizens who were killed in the brutal agony of the last days of the Soviet Empire.
Reservation required: please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- President Aliyev expresses condolences to Donald Trump, George Walker Bush
- Президент Ильхам Алиев выразил соболезнования Дональду Трампу и Джорджу Бушу-младшему
- Silk Way Airlines expands fleet with another Boeing 747 freighter
- Авиакомпания Silk Way пополнила флот еще одним грузовым лайнером Boeing 747
- President Ilham Aliyev receives US renowned religious figures