“Leyli and Majnun” opera by famous composer Uzeyir Hajibayli was presented in New York, US.
The Mark Morris Dance Group’s new collaboration with the Silk Road Ensemble featured legendary mugham vocalist Alim Qasimov and his daughter Fargana Qasimova.
All pieces in this medley are based on the melodic patterns of Bayati Shiraz, which is one of the major mughams of Azerbaijani music. The medley opened with the famous Azerbaijani folk song. The second part of this composition featured the actual mugham Bayati Shiraz where both singers and instrumentalists demonstrated their ability to improvise.
Alim Qasimov, occupies a unique and honorable place in Azerbaijan’s national music history. Qasimov is revered as a National Treasure of Azerbaijan, and he also has enjoyed substantial acclaim abroad.
- Baku’s Old City (Icheri-Sheher) Named Most Comfortable and Accessible Historical City
- US State Dept: Southern Gas Corridor to help diversify gas imports
- Utah State Senate adopts a proclamation commending Azerbaijan’s multiculturalism
- The U.S. State Department Raised its Alert Level For Travel to Azerbaijan.
- Azerbaijan’s Consul General meets the Governor of U.S. State of Idaho