Azerbaijan has done a great job in cleaning the Caspian Sea from oil, Matthew Bryza, former US assistant secretary for South Caucasus and former US ambassador to Azerbaijan, told Trend on November 21.
Bryza, the CEO oif Lamor Turkey, who was also one of the moderators in the 4th Practical Conference and Mini Exhibition – Offshore and Onshore Oil Spills: Industrial Safety in Oil and Gas, in Baku, said that with lower oil prices, all companies, public or private companies are trying to cut back the money they spend for ecology and for protecting the environment.
“But I think that they have to begin to spend again more quickly, because oil companies are now producing even more oil to make revenue when the price is low,” he said.
Bryza pointed out that Azerbaijan has done a great job working through SOCAR, through entire government, through Ministry of Emergency Situations and together with BP to put in place all the necessary capabilities to ensure that the sea gets cleaned from hydrocarbon, from oil damage.
“With the decrease in oil prices, it is difficult sometimes to find necessary funding to protect the environment and clean up the oil that has been spilled in sea and on the land, in the maximum way,” he said.
But Azerbaijan has got the training of personnel and regulations in place in this sphere, said Bryza, adding that the cooperation between BP, the Ministry of Emergency Situations and other Azerbaijani entities is working very well.
The 4th Practical Conference and Mini Exhibition – Offshore and Onshore Oil Spills: Industrial Safety in Oil and Gas kicked off in Baku Nov.21. The event focuses on readiness of the Caspian Sea littoral states to the ecological challenges, use of new technologies for eliminating the consequences of oil spill, as well as monitoring and prevention of spills, eliminating the pollution and other consequences.
The conference will continue on November 22.
- США как давний друг Азербайджана всегда готовы участвовать в установлении мира в регионе
- “Спорт – очень важная часть культуры азербайджанского народа. Азербайджан и США развили широкое партнерство в этой области”- Эрл Литценбергер
- Президентом Американской торговой палаты в Азербайджане впервые избрана женщина
- Оружейник из Канады подарил азербайджанскому музею мечи, кинжалы и щиты
- Наша задача – показать хороший результат в финале Всемирных соревнований по акробатической гимнастике в Баку – спортсменки из США