President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has met with Vice President of the United States Joe Biden.
Joe Biden said they attached great importance to meetings with President Ilham Aliyev, adding that these meetings contribute to expanding Azerbaijan-US cooperation and elevating relations to a new level. He said the USA resolutely supported Azerbaijan`s territorial integrity and sovereignty, adding that this was of great importance for the United States.
The U.S. Vice President said there were good opportunities for expanding the bilateral ties in all areas, particularly economy. He said the two countries enjoyed good cooperation with respect to security and peacekeeping operations. Joe Biden hailed Azerbaijan`s active participation in the international anti-terror coalition in Afghanistan. He underscored the importance of the steps taken to define opportunities for defense cooperation. He said the US fully supported Azerbaijan`s efforts to implement the Southern Gas Corridor project, noting that the country would take necessary measures in this regard.
President Ilham Aliyev said reforms were being conducted in all areas in Azerbaijan, adding that the freedom of thought, freedom of press, freedom of assembly, freedom of Internet were provided in the country. The head of state highlighted Azerbaijan`s position on the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. President Ilham Aliyev thanked the US for its firm position on the settlement of the dispute, and underlined the significance of solving the problem.
The head of state noted the importance of President Barack Obama`s stance – as president of the co-chair country – that the status quo was unacceptable. President Ilham Aliyev said the United States played a vital role in finding a peaceful and negotiated solution to the conflict. The head of state expressed Azerbaijan`s interest in strengthening cooperation with the US in political, economic and energy fields.
The sides also expressed mutual interest in maintaining strong and long-term cooperation between the two countries.
The United States Secretary of State John Kerry was present at the meeting.
- World-famous Azerbaijani composer Firanghiz Ali-Zadeh to perform in Los Angeles
- Azerbaijani oncologists win award in California
- President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev: The Republic of Azerbaijan and the United States of America are bound together by the ties of friendship and cooperation
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan met with the Assistant to the President of the United States of America for National Security Affairs
- The Azerbaijani side expresses its gratitude to the United States as co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group for organizing a meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia