Member of the House of Representatives of the state of Texas, U.S., Gene Wu, has released a resolution on the 24th anniversary of the Khojaly Massacre.
“The 24th anniversary of the Khojaly Massacre in Azerbaijan is being observed on February 26, 2016, offering an opportunity for people around the globe to reflect on this tragic incident,” he said in the resolution.
“The massacre took place as part of the warfare that raged in the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan from 1988 until 1994.” He said that on February 25 and 26, 1992, Armenian armed forces occupied the town of Khojaly. The resolution said that during the occupation, a large group of Azerbaijani civilians attempted to flee the town, and they were fired on by the Armenian soldiers. “The result was the largest massacre of the violent Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.”
“The anniversary of this terrible tragedy serves as a time to remember the victims and their families. Moreover, it is a grim reminder of the devastation that can take place in wartime and the continuing need to promote dialogue and tolerance as a means of avoiding violent conflict,” Mr Wu said in the resolution.
- В Лос-Анджелесе состоялась премьера фильма «Командировка в вечность», снятого при поддержке Фонда Гейдара Алиева
- Президент Ильхам Алиев принял делегацию во главе с командующим Транспортного командования США
- Los Angeles hosts the U.S. premiere screening of Azerbaijani film “Life-Long Mission”
- Monterey City of California honors the 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s National Flag
- U.S.-Caspian Innovation Summit to take place in Boston