Member of the House of Representatives of the state of Texas, U.S., Gene Wu, has released a resolution on the 24th anniversary of the Khojaly Massacre.
“The 24th anniversary of the Khojaly Massacre in Azerbaijan is being observed on February 26, 2016, offering an opportunity for people around the globe to reflect on this tragic incident,” he said in the resolution.
“The massacre took place as part of the warfare that raged in the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan from 1988 until 1994.” He said that on February 25 and 26, 1992, Armenian armed forces occupied the town of Khojaly. The resolution said that during the occupation, a large group of Azerbaijani civilians attempted to flee the town, and they were fired on by the Armenian soldiers. “The result was the largest massacre of the violent Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.”
“The anniversary of this terrible tragedy serves as a time to remember the victims and their families. Moreover, it is a grim reminder of the devastation that can take place in wartime and the continuing need to promote dialogue and tolerance as a means of avoiding violent conflict,” Mr Wu said in the resolution.
- Azerbaijan was featured at the “Irvine Global Village Festival” in California
- Azerbaijani chess player wins World Youth Chess Championship
- Азербайджанская община Нагорного Карабаха выразила протест Конгрессу США
- Звезда нью-йоркского джаза прогулялась по Ясамальскому району
- В Нью-Йорке прошел второй Каспийский бизнес-форум