Nebraska becomes the 18th U.S. State to condemn the Khojaly Massacre.
The Governor of the U.S. State of Nebraska Pete Ricketts signed a proclamation condemning the Khojaly Massacre, which was committed by Armenia’s armed forces against the Azerbaijani civilians in 1992. With the document, Governor Ricketts proclaims February 26, 2016 as the “Khojaly Remembrance Day” in the State of Nebraska and urges all citizens “to take due note of the observance.”
The proclamation, which has been received by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles, says: “On February 25-26, 1992, the population of the town of Khojaly in Azerbaijan was subjected to a massacre, resulting in the death of over 600 innocent civilians, including many children, women, and elderly.”
“The renowned international human rights organization, Human Rights Watch, called this tragedy the largest massacre in the region,” the document continues. “This event in Khojaly is a sobering reminder of the terrible damage that can be inflicted in wartime and the enduring need for greater understanding, communication, and tolerance among people over the world,” the proclamation states.
The proclamation was also signed by John A. Gale, Nebraska’s Secretary of the State.
This is the first official document on the Khojaly Massacre adopted in Nebraska. Thus, Nebraska has become the 18th state in the United States to condemn the Khojaly Massacre, as well as to recognize and honor its innocent victims.
- World-famous Azerbaijani composer Firanghiz Ali-Zadeh to perform in Los Angeles
- Azerbaijani oncologists win award in California
- President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev: The Republic of Azerbaijan and the United States of America are bound together by the ties of friendship and cooperation
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan met with the Assistant to the President of the United States of America for National Security Affairs
- The Azerbaijani side expresses its gratitude to the United States as co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group for organizing a meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia