Agha Khan Museum has presented the world premiere of The Oyan! Project in Toronto, an unprecedented, multi-layered evening of integrated dance and mutated music stemming from the ancient mystic traditions of Western and Central Asia. Choreographed and performed by Toronto’s celebrated Sashar Zarif, the project is in collaboration with internationally acclaimed composer, Peoples’ Artist of Azerbaijan Franghiz Alizade.
Based on her unique mutant contemporary and traditional composition, also called Oyan!, this dance creation investigates and unlocks the dual spirit of light and awakening. This was done through an exploration of the traditional elements of the composition, performed by two young Azerbaijani artists, Elnur Mikayilev (Kamancha/fiddle player) and Miralam Miralamov (Mugham singer).
The Oyan! Project is the second of a planned trilogy to introduce the art of Mugham to Canadian audiences through Sashar Zarif ’s Dance of Mugham Series.
- Three Members of the U.S. House of Representatives announced ‘non grata’, banned from visiting Azerbaijan
- Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov made the remarks at the Extraordinary Session of Council of Ministers of the Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) member-states in New York
- Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted by US President Donald Trump and his wife
- President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev addressed opening of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly
- Lincoln Center has made multiple mistakes on its website when advertising the Leyli and Majnun event that they are hosting in October