‘Shakespeare’ play by Azerbaijani writer Elchin is to be staged at the Mint Theater in New York.
The premiere of the show directed by Annie Ward, the artistic director of the Complete Theatre Company, is scheduled for November 18.
This surreal satire takes place at a psychiatric hospital in the war-torn Azerbaijan.
A unique situation further exacerbated by the arrival of a new patient, who claims to be from another planet and becomes transformed by the writings of Shakespeare.
Until now, the play has been staged in several countries. It was warmly welcomed in the Istanbul Municipal Theater, Vanguard Theatre in London, Firebird Theatre in Moscow and many others.
It is now part of the repertoire of the National Academic Drama Theatre.
Elchin is a man of many parts: professor and critic; novelist and writer of short stories, seven of which have been made into films.
Shakespeare is Elchin´s 10th play in a period which more or less coincides with Azerbaijan’s revival as an independent nation.
When he was 16 years old, his first story was published in the “Azerbaijani Youth” newspaper. Elchin’s first book “One of the Thousands Nights” was released in 1965. His books are published in many countries around the world, and translated into more than 20 languages.
Wednesday, November 18th @ 8 pm
Thursday, November 19th @ 8 pm
Friday, November 20th @ 8 pm
Saturday, November 21st @ 5 pm and 8 pm
Sunday, November 22nd @ 5 pm
Tickets can be purchased at
- Мэр американского города Кливленд объявил 28 мая Днем Азербайджана
- В Конгрессе США сделано очередное заявление в связи со 100-летним юбилеем Азербайджанской Демократической Республики
- В Сан-Диего 28 мая объявлено “Днем 100-летия Азербайджанской Демократической Республики”
- Cleveland mayor designates May 28 as Centennial Celebration of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- President of the United States of America Donald Trump congratulated President of Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani people with 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic