Azerbaijani delegation, led by chairman of the Milli Majlis Ogtay Asadov participates at the 4th World Conference of Speakers of Parliament kicked off at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
The attendees are exchanging views over a number of issues, including application of key recommendations of speakers of the previous conference, as well as strengthening role of parliaments in international cooperation, provision of gender equilty in the activity of legislative bodies, role of the parliaments in formation of new targets for sustainable development.
Addressing the opening ceremony, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon highlighted the peacekeeping activity of the UN, spoke of the modern challenges and tasks, and urged the parliamentarians to help drive forward the new UN sustainable development agenda and ensure that civil society are equal partners in “building the future we want.”
Saber Chowdhury, President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) highlighted the future plans, noting the level of the poverty would be decreased until 2030.
On the sidelines of the conference, Azerbaijani parliament speaker Oqtay Asadov met with Jan Hamacek, President of the Chamber of Deputies of the Czech Republic.
The sides exchanged views over the current situation of and prospects for mutual ties. Hamacek hailed the high-level organization of the inaugural European Games, held in Baku, as well as the progress in bilateral relations.
Mr.Asadov, in turn, expressed confidence over the development of the Azerbaijani-Czech ties, and stressed the Czech Republic was one of the first governments who gave the political assessment to the Khojaly Genocide in Europe.
The sides underlined the importance of the joint programs and projects between the two countries in the areas of economy, culture and education.
The World Conference of Speakers of Parliament is held every 5 years. The 4th Conference brought together 138 speakers and 39 deputy speakers of parliaments from 140 countries.
- Зимняя акция от AZAL: Бесплатный авиабилет детям при путешествии с родителями
- Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL) announces a new winter campaign: Free air tickets for children traveling with parents
- Бакинская высшая школа нефти укрепляет партнерские связи с Baker Hughes, General Electric Company
- Elin Suleymanov: “Independent Azerbaijan is best tribute to sacrifice of those who died during January 20 events”
- Элин Сулейманов: “Независимый Азербайджан – это лучшая дань памяти жертвам событий 20 января 1990 года.”