Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev received a delegation led by Special Envoy and Coordinator for International Energy Affairs at the U.S. Department of State Amos Hochstein on July 11, AzerTac state news agency reported.
Stressing the importance of the excellent organization of the First European Games, Hochstein said this was an important event both for the country and the world.
The First European Games kicked off in Baku June 12 and wrapped up June 28. It hosted more than 6,000 athletes from 50 European countries to compete in 20 sports.
The sides exchanged views on the current state and prospects of development of bilateral relations between Azerbaijan and the U.S. in a variety of fields.
The sides also hailed energy cooperation between the two countries, and noted the significance of continuing this cooperation.
The United States and Azerbaijan have had diplomatic relations since 1919. However, no direct inter-state relations existed between Azerbaijan and the U.S. during Soviet times.
After Azerbaijan gained independence in 1991, Washington established diplomatic relations with Baku in 1992.
Azerbaijan and the United States enjoy a strong strategic partnership founded on shared values and interests. Today, Azerbaijan remains a staunch ally of the U.S. in its fight against international terrorism. Azerbaijani troops have been serving in Afghanistan shoulder to shoulder with U.S soldiers, just as they did previously in the Balkans and in Iraq.
Economic and commercial relations are also dynamically developing. The U.S. is one of the largest investors in Azerbaijan. The U.S. companies are involved in offshore oil development projects with Azerbaijan.
- The U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan opened the Kurdemir American Corner
- Azerbaijan maintains strong counterterrorism co-op with US
- Посол Азербайджана в США Элин Сулейманов рассказал о последней армянской провокации на форуме The Heritage Foundation
- Президент Ильхам Алиев: Отношения между Азербайджаном и США вступают в новую стадию
- Глава консульской службы посольства Соединенных Штатов в Азербайджане Ким Моралес: Как получить неиммиграционную визу США в Азербайджане