The relevant proclamation was adopted by the City Council and signed by all members of the Council, the Azerbaijani Consulate General in Los Angeles said.
The City Council notes that “on May 28, 1918, Azerbaijan declared its independence establishing the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, which became the first secular parliamentary democracy in the Muslim world, and was recognized by the other democratic nations, including the United States of America.”
The Council reminds that during the short period of independence Azerbaijan granted all people the right to vote regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, and religion, becoming the first Muslim nation to grant women equal political rights with men, an accomplishment preceding the U.S.
The Council further noted that after restoring its independence in 1991, “Azerbaijan has consolidated its sovereignty and independence, and has become a staunch ally and strategic partner of the U.S. in the critically important Caspian region.”
Noting that every year “millions of Azerbaijanis around the globe, including tens of thousands in the U.S. observe May 28 as the National Day, and remember the contribution of their forefathers to the spread of democracy in the regions of Caucasus, Central Asia, and Middle East”, the City Council proclaimed this date to be the “Azerbaijan National Day” in the City of West Hollywood, and “encouraged the entire community to join this celebration”.
May 28, 1918, marks the establishment of the ADR, the first independent republic and democratic state on the East. Although it existed for only 23 months, it brought about great progress in foreign policy, and introduced Azerbaijan to the international community.
Azerbaijan, which gained its independence in 1991 after the collapse of the Soviet Union, celebrates May 28 annually as the Republic Day.
- The U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan opened the Kurdemir American Corner
- Azerbaijan maintains strong counterterrorism co-op with US
- Посол Азербайджана в США Элин Сулейманов рассказал о последней армянской провокации на форуме The Heritage Foundation
- Президент Ильхам Алиев: Отношения между Азербайджаном и США вступают в новую стадию
- Глава консульской службы посольства Соединенных Штатов в Азербайджане Ким Моралес: Как получить неиммиграционную визу США в Азербайджане