WASHINGTON. January 9, 2013. Chairman of Azerbaijani-Americans for Democracy (AZAD), Elmar Chakhtakhtinski, met yesterday in DC with the US Ambassador to Azerbaijan, Richard Morningstar. The meeting was centered on the issues of human rights and democracy. This was the second meeting between Ambassador Morningstar and Mr. Chakhtakhtinski.
“It was a pleasure to meet again with Ambassador Morningstar, hear his views on the current situation and share our ideas for promoting democratic development in Azerbaijan. AZAD’s position has always been that the support for democracy and human rights in Azerbaijan is vital for securing America’s own strategic interests in that part of the world. Therefore, we continuously encourage the US government to do more in that direction”, said Mr. Chakhtakhtinski in his comments to Azeri Report.
Regarding the upcoming presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Mr. Chakhtakhtinski said he reiterated AZAD’s view that the United States should demand explicitly the observance of the fundamental criteria for free and fair elections and be ready to give a clear and unequivocal assessment if the Azerbaijani government again violates those basic standards (Azeri Report).
- World-famous Azerbaijani composer Firanghiz Ali-Zadeh to perform in Los Angeles
- Azerbaijani oncologists win award in California
- President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev: The Republic of Azerbaijan and the United States of America are bound together by the ties of friendship and cooperation
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan met with the Assistant to the President of the United States of America for National Security Affairs
- The Azerbaijani side expresses its gratitude to the United States as co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group for organizing a meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia