WASHINGTON. January 9, 2013. Chairman of Azerbaijani-Americans for Democracy (AZAD), Elmar Chakhtakhtinski, met yesterday in DC with the US Ambassador to Azerbaijan, Richard Morningstar. The meeting was centered on the issues of human rights and democracy. This was the second meeting between Ambassador Morningstar and Mr. Chakhtakhtinski.
“It was a pleasure to meet again with Ambassador Morningstar, hear his views on the current situation and share our ideas for promoting democratic development in Azerbaijan. AZAD’s position has always been that the support for democracy and human rights in Azerbaijan is vital for securing America’s own strategic interests in that part of the world. Therefore, we continuously encourage the US government to do more in that direction”, said Mr. Chakhtakhtinski in his comments to Azeri Report.
Regarding the upcoming presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Mr. Chakhtakhtinski said he reiterated AZAD’s view that the United States should demand explicitly the observance of the fundamental criteria for free and fair elections and be ready to give a clear and unequivocal assessment if the Azerbaijani government again violates those basic standards (Azeri Report).
- Американский посол: Азербайджан – наш надежный партнер
- Зампомощника госсекретаря США: Азербайджан впечатлил нас своими усилиями
- Канадская компания увеличит инвестиции в Азербайджан
- Elin Suleymanov: Karabakh conflict continues to be very strategically dangerous to whole region
- Посол Азербайджана в США сделал заявление по Карабаху