The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, who were entitled to mediate for the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, unfortunately in some cases stage double standards in relation to the problem.
U.S. co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, James Warlick’s recent activities has caused outrage of Baku. The country has repeatedly expressed dissatisfaction over the activities and some statements of Warlick on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
The ineffective efforts of the MG itself and contradicting activities of the co-chairs is a frequent source of concern for Azerbaijan, a party interested in the soonest and fair resolution of the conflict
This time, according to Armenian media reports, Warlick has attended an event dedicated to the separatist regime created in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands and met with the representative of this regime Karen Mirzoyan.
Hikmet Hajiyev, the spokesperson of the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, announced that the Ministry intends to express dissatisfaction and concern to the U.S. State Department over Warlick’s meeting with the representative of the separatist regime in occupied Nagorno-Karabakh.
“In general, issuing a U.S. visa to Karen Mirzoyan, representative of the separatist regime of Nagorno-Karabakh is inadmissible, since the U.S. is the co-chairing country of the OSCE Minsk Group,” Hajiyev told Trend.
He noted that this fact was investigated by Azerbaijan’s embassy in the U.S.
Warlick’s recent meeting with the “foreign minister” of the separatist regime of Nagorno-Karabakh in Washington, as well as participation in the event on the regime created on Azerbaijan’s occupied lands casts shadow on his mediation activities.
Armenia occupied over 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent regions, after laying territorial claims against its South Caucasus neighbor that caused a brutal war in the early 1990s. Long-standing efforts by U.S, Russian and French mediators have been largely fruitless so far.
As a result of the military aggression of Armenia, over 20,000 Azerbaijanis were killed, over 4,000 are reported missing and almost 100,000 were injured, and 50,000 were disabled.
The UN Security Council has passed four resolutions on Armenian withdrawal from the Azerbaijani territory, but they have not been enforced to this day.
- US House of Reps member: Azerbaijan is important actor for advancement of global security
- Член комитета по энергетике и торговле Палаты представителей Конгресса США Юджин Грин: Азербайджан – значимая страна для прогресса глобальной безопасности
- Госдеп США: TANAP является прочным дополнительным элементом энергетической безопасности Турции и Европы
- The Mayor of the US capital city of Washington Muriel Bowser signed the proclamation in connection with the centennial of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- Celebration of the Centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic in Washington, DC